Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easy Spaghetti Squash Primavera

My friend shared this amazing recipe with me for Spaghetti Squash Primavera.  It called for basically making your own spaghetti sauce and using cream and all kinds of yummy goodness.  I went to make it for dinner today and realized I was missing like half of the ingredients.  Ooops.  So I whipped this puppy up instead.  I'm sure the "real thing" is much better but this tasted great, was really easy and everyone ate it.  Sounds like success to me! :)

Ingredients:
1 cooked spaghetti squash (HERE'S how I make it in the crockpot.  I had made it the other day as a side dish, so I used the leftovers tonight)
2-3 Sweet Italian Sausages, casing removed
Tomatoes -- whatever you got.  Canned, grape, Roma, beefsteak.....whatever, it's up to you. 
1/2 -1 Onion diced (to your liking or Onion powder if you aren't fond of the onions)
1 Jar of tomato-based spaghetti sauce (again, whatever ya got! -- just not Alfredo or anything)
Parmesan Cheese for topping
Seasonings -- I used some salt and African Smoke seasoning from Trader Joe's.   You can use whatever sounds good to you - Italian seasoning would also be great. Throw in whatever looks good!
2 TBSP Olive Oil
**HINT -- this is probably the easiest recipe in the world and lends itself so well to being customized.  Don't hesitate to throw in more veggies (carrots, bell peppers, artichoke hearts, zucchini....etc) or switch something up.  Play with your food and be adventurous!

Directions
 Remove the sausage casings and brown the sausage with the onions in the 2 TBSP of oil.  Add seasonings while you're browning it.  Once it looks pretty good (doesn't have to be perfect, it'll continue to cook with the sauce), dump in your tomatoes.  Let those break down a little bit --maybe 5 minutes or so.  Then add the jar of spaghetti sauce.  Turn temperature to low and let that simmer, stirring occasionally.  Prepare your spaghetti squash and divide it onto the plates (personally, I would NOT mix the sauce and the squash until it's on the plate).  After the sauce has simmered for about 10 minutes or so, taste it.  Depending on the tomatoes you used, you might need to add a bit more salt, seasonings or even some sugar.  I find that I sometimes need to add some sugar if I'm using canned organic tomatoes.  It'll taste a little acidic or bitter.  But again, it all just depend on the tomatoes and the jarred sauce.  Taste, season, taste again.  When it's yummy, pop it on top of the squash and sprinkle (or cover it ;) ) with Parmesan cheese.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment