Friday, May 8, 2009

Penne alla Not-Ka

Penne Alla Not-Ka
From the show "Cook Yourself Thin"

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes/penne-alla-not-ka

This is the low cal version of the dish "Penne alla Vodka" and let me tell you, it was GOOOOOOD. Not just "oh this is really good for being healthy" -- I mean GOOD! It was a little spicy but I loved that about it. The recipe calls for only a half a bag of pasta for 4 servings, which at first, I laughed and said, "That's how they got the calories so low -- you can have like 4 noodles each!" But surprisingly, this made enough for 3 people and 2 lunches. However, I also served garlic bread and a salad -- so that helped with the portion sizes too (and brought the enitre meal's calorie count up). This would be really good to make someone who's sick or something. A good "take to someone's house" dish.

Here's the recipe and then under it - I'll tell you my changes.



Serves 4
Calories per serving: 371

2 teaspoons olive oil, plus extra for serving
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes or whole tomatoes in juice, pureed in a food processor
Pinch red pepper flakes
8 ounces penne
1/4 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons evaporated nonfat milk
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the penne.

2. In a large saucepan, heat the 2 teaspoons oil with the garlic over low heat until the garlic begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook until the onion is softened, about 2 more minutes. Add the tomato, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and simmer very gently 10 minutes. Stir in the cream and evaporated milk and simmer 1 more minute.

3. Meanwhile, after the sauce has cooked 5 minutes, add the penne to the boiling water and cook until just shy of al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup pasta water. Add the drained penne to the saucepan and simmer until the penne is al dente, 1 to 2 minutes, adding a little of the pasta cooking water if the mixture is dry. Stir in 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, along with the basil and black pepper.

4. To serve, divide pasta among 4 serving bowls. Drizzle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.


-----------------
I bascially follwed the recipe to a T. Here's a couple tips and changes that I made ( which also up'd the calorie count, do beware of that)
1. I LOVE garlic and the cloves I had were on the smaller side- so I used 5 cloves, not just 3. Which probably attributed to the spiciness.
2. I didn't measure out the onions - I just did a half a red onion and that was perfect.
3. Basil -- first off - USE FRESH BASIL. It's like $2 at the grocery store and makes ALLLLL the difference in dishes. Secondly, I didnt' measure out the basil either - I just picked 5 or 6 good size leaves and cut them up to add in. Reserve a little bit and garnish each dish with it at the end. The heat will brown the leaves a little when you add it to the pasta -- so some pretty green on top looks nice.
4. I have a wierd thing of just eating pasta without protein - so I added some grilled chicken. That was good but probably not even needed. The dish offered up a lot of flavor and the penne is pretty hearty, so next time I'm going to exnay the chicken.

2 comments:

  1. This sounded so yummy, I just had to try it for myself. Trusting that it was good, I went ahead and doubled the recipe. I figure that I'm already chopping, dicing, etc., I might as well double it and save myself the hassle of cooking a meal one night when I'm in a bind. It turned out great, and Ryan really liked it, too! The only thing I did different was that I did not puree the tomatoes because (a) I didn't want to take the time to do it, and (b) I didn't want to dirty another dish. I liked that there were some chunky tomatoes. My only negative comment is that the sauce wasn't thick enough for my taste. The next time I make it I might add some flour to thicken it up a bit. Other than that, I loved it, and will definitely make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you liked it Jen! Yes, I should have put in there that the sauce isn't a very thick sauce. Instead of flour next time though, you may want to try just adding some tomato paste or regular sauce. Just make sure to taste it and season it to your liking (especially if you use some paste). You could probably also just switch out the can of tomato with just your favorite jar (maybe half a jar?) of normal sauce for a thicker "saucier" texture. Although, of course, you'll have to adjust the calories accordingly! Glad that you and Ryan liked it though! When you heat up the leftovers, let me know what you try to thicken up the sauce and how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete