Wednesday, February 20, 2013

TJ's Southern Greens with Onions and Bacon

I found this recipe via the Nom Nom Paleo blog. This blog is such a fantastic resource ....even if you're not on any special "diet" (aka - way of eating...).  She just has really good, kind of different recipes and meal ideas.  Fabulous.




I picked up a bag of TJ's Southern Greens Blend the other day and decided to make it tonight as a side to our meatballs (made in the crockpot with grape jelly and ketchup --or Chili sauce...whatever your fancy -- don't judge me and my yummy meatballs) and quinoa.  I whipped up this bad boy and even my kiddos enjoyed (well....Jake and Brooke enjoyed, Rylee tolerated it, which is actually saying a lot).

I basically did exactly what it said to do on Nom Nom Paleo but added bacon (per her suggestion).  Everything is better with bacon:
  • I finely sliced half a sweet onion and chopped a couple strips of bacon.  I sauteed the onions and bacon pieces in some EVOO, until they were brown and succulent and all bacon-crispy. mmmm
  • While that was doing it's onion/bacon goodness thing, I boiled up some salted water.  Once water was boiling, I threw in the bag o' greens (I had to do it in 2 batches since my pot wasn't big enough).  I blanched it for about 3 minutes, then drained and squeezed out all the excess liquid.  
  • Then once the onions and bacon were done, I threw in the greens, mixed it around really good (breaking it up with my spatula), tasted, salted, mixed a tad more and then plated them.   
It was good, my friends.  And easy.  A tad expensive since we ate the entire bag (which I think was like $3 or so), but we ate an entire bag of greens.  I mean come on....that's gotta count for something, right? :)

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmm 1. i'm so glad your blogging on here again. Rocks. My. World.

    2. this sounds delish! and those meatballs....i make them...they are heaven! i make mine with chili sauce! so freakin good!

    welcome back!

    ReplyDelete