Monday, February 7, 2011

Muffin Frittatas


It was my turn to bring some food for my Moms Connection group at church. It's a brunch and I was asked to bring an egg dish. This is always a little tough since 1) there's no possible way for the food to actually be hot by the time we eat it (and normally eggs are better when hot), and 2) since I already feel tight for time in the morning getting everyone ready to get out the door by 8:30ish...I really didn't want to wake up an hour earlier to make a fancy- dancy egg dish. I had to make (or at least be able to prep) something the night before. So I scoured the 'net and ran across these yummy frittatas. They were perfect! They tasted pretty good not-so-warm, I could easily customize them for different tastebuds and since they're already in individual servings, I didn't have to worry about any cutting or serving issues. I thought they were great. People had seconds....so I'm assuming they weren't terrible to the rest of my group too! :)

AND here's the kicker-- they taste GREAT warmed up. The author of the recipe says you can even freeze them!!! This makes them an AWESOME quick morning breakfast. I immediately thought of working moms with school-aged kids. You could just pop a couple of these in the microwave and serve with toast and fruit. Great nutritious breakfast and a cinch to serve up for families on the go! But hey, even though I stay at home, I won't pass up something quick and easy to serve in the morning. :)

Look at that -- you CAN have it all! :)


Muffin Frittatas
by American Egg Board

Ingredients
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup chopped zucchini
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped red onion

Directions
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in medium bowl until blended. Add cheese, zucchini, bell pepper and onion; mix well. Spoon evenly into 12 greased muffin cups, about 1/4 cup each.
2.Bake in 350 degrees F oven until just set, 20 to 22 minutes. Cool on rack 5 minutes. Remove from cups; serve warm.


***TIPS***
1) When you whisk togeter the eggs and milk...make sure you whisk it good. You don't want any egg white clumps in there. You want it all to be combined nicely.
2) SPRAY THE PAN! Seriously, spray the heck out of the pan. If you have silcone muffin tins - use those (and still spray just in case).
3) I did a double batch of these and then added different veggies. One batch I did per the recipe and the other batch I did broccoli and carrots. Both were a hit. I even added in some Parm cheese I had, but be careful since the parm cheese is salty in and of itself....I thought they were a tad on the salty side. Next time if I do the parm cheese, I'll omit the salt that you would normally put in with the eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment