Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bagels!!


This is something that I've been wanting to try since I started using the bread machine, but they just looked really intimidating. However, Darrin loves bagels, so I thought I'd get over my fear and just try them out! They are a *little* labor intensive, since it requires more effort than just throwing everything in the machine and pushing a button. But they are SO WORTH IT! They turned out great!

Here's the recipe -- and then my photos I took throughout the process.


Basic bagels

Ingredients
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 quarts boiling water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
3 tablespoons poppy seeds (or whatever topping you want on them)

Directions
1.Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting.
2.When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar.
3.Cut dough into 9 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 10 minutes.

4.Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.

5.Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.




After the dough is made in the bread machine, pull it out and divide it up. I tried to squeeze 12 rolls out of the dough (here's 10 out of the 12). They ended up too small. Next time, I'll only divide it up to make 8 or 9.


Poke a hole in the middle of hte dough ball and twirl it around your finger. This was an easier technique but not as pretty. You can also roll out the doughballs into 7" ropes, then connect the ends making a circle. I did this with one of them and it looked a bit nicer.


Here's all my bagels, ready to be boiled!!

After I boiled them (sorry, I forgot to take pictures of that), then I put them on a baking sheet with some cornmeal and popped them in the oven!


Fresh out of the oven!





Lightly toasted wtih cream cheese. Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment