Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Taco Soup

I know this girl, Rhonda, from one of my online groups. She amazing. She has a family of 7 ( all of her kids are in the teenage/early adult years and live at home). She says she has a nice size garden and she has meat in the freezer because they buy like 1/2 a cow and whole hogs and what not (I think she lives in the midwest...where they get to hunt and kill things). But she makes EVERYTHING from scratch and she feeds everyone on $250 a month. Seriously.... a family of SEVEN on $250 a month. And she has special diet restrictions (I think she has borderline diabetes or something) so don't go thinking they do processed stuff in their household. Everything is healthy and everything is made from scratch. She's insane amazing! :)

So today I stole her "Taco Soup" recipe. To be honest, it didn't look good at first, but I had almost everything I needed already, and I wanted to use it all up before I went shopping for the week. It turned out SOOOO good. Kind of like a Taco Salad, but instead of the lettuce part, it's a thick soup. Seriously....yum. I topped it with grated cheese, green onions and sour cream (oh and some Corn chip crumbles because we had them!). Then served cornbread on the side. It was a hit with everyone! Plus it made a ton. I'm going to try and freeze some of it. I'm sure it'll freeze really well!


I first browned some ground beef and onions in a big pot (you can use a dutch oven or whatever) and then drained it as much as I could. Then I followed the recipe below:

Taco soup from Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes

•1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
•1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and diced chilies
•1 cup sweet corn kernels
•2 cans pinto beans (I cook my own from dry)
•1 pkt. taco seasoning (I mix my own)
•1 pkt. ranch dressing mix (I mix my own)
Mix all together, bring to a boil, then serve. OR you can cook it in your crock pot for 4 hours on low.

**To get the recipes to make your own Taco and Ranch dressing mix click HERE. Seriously, it's easy and so much healthier. Next time you're at the store, check out the ingredients in those pre-made seasoning packets. bleh..... You'll never go back to them once you start making your own!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the links to my blog recipes! Your additions sound delicious! We also substitute for the beans or add 1 lb. ground beef, depending on what want at the time.

    ReplyDelete