Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pork Roast in Rich Red Wine Sauce

My goodness, this was so good. Seriously.......yum.


Pork Roast in Rich Red Wine Sauce

Ingredients --Serves 8

3 tablespoons canola oil
5 pounds boneless pork loin roast, tied (***I did not have it tied)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
4 cups Cabernet Sauvignon wine (***Yup....that's an entire bottle!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon peppercorns


2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour

Methods/steps

Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the meat in oil to brown on all sides.

Add garlic, parsley, wine, salt and peppercorns. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 3 hours.

Remove meat and reduce stock to 1/3 of it's volume. Strain the sauce to remove the peppercorns.

Heat butter in a smaller saucepan. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, pour in the stock, and simmer to thicken.

Carve the pork and serve with sauce separately.

Additional Tips

You can use a smaller piece of pork for fewer servings, but leave the sauce recipe alone - the extra sauce helps permeate the meat with it's rich flavor.


---------------------------------------------
After I seared the meat, I sliced up an onion and browned it, then I added the other ingredients. I did not have any peppercorns, so I omitted those (although I did add some normal pepper). The sauce is SO good. Seriously, I'm trying to think of other things to put it on just so I can make sure every last drop gets eaten.

Just FYI -- I bought a 5lb roast and just used it for Darrin and myself. Then, I'm using the leftovers for 2 different meals. Leftover meal #1 is going to be pulled pork BBQ sandwiches and Leftover Meal #2 is going to be 7-Bean and Barley soup (using the bone from the roast and then throwing in whatever meat I have leftover). So don't let the "feeds 8" thing scare you off! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment