Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Eggplant Burgers

Let me first say that I don't really like the idea of "hiding" veggies and stuff in foods (but I guess that's for another post). However, I was pretty intrigued when I saw this great, healthy alternative for normal hamburgers. I'm not a big eggplant fan, but I guess I really want to be. It's super nutritious, hearty and when it's in season, can be pretty cheap. I keep finding myself trying new recipes for it in hopes that I'll find one that we really like! :) This might be it! Another great thing is that you can freeze them and reheat pretty easily. Below you'll find a video and the recipe and then after that, my notes on it all. Enjoy!




Weelicious's Eggplant Burgers (Makes 8 Burgers)

1 Tbsp Olive Oil, plus more for sautéing
1 Medium Eggplant, cubed
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Parsley, chopped
1 Large Egg
1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Cup Breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat)

Accompaniments: Whole Wheat Bagel, Buns,Cheese, Tomato, Lettuce, Ketchup, Pickles

1. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and cook the eggplant cubes for 3 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and salt and continue to sauté for another 2 minutes.
3. Add 1 tbsp of water, cover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until eggplant is fork tender. Allow to cool.
4. Place the eggplant and remaining ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
5. Use about 2 tbsps of the eggplant mixture for mini burgers, 1/4 cup for bigger burgers and form into patties.
6. Heat about 1-2 tsps of oil in a large sauté pan and cook the eggplant patties for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
7. Serve.

* To freeze place the cooked patties on a baking sheet, freeze for 1 hour and place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 3-4 months. When ready to serve, place patties on a baking sheet in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes until warm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My notes:
Overall, I give these a B+. Definitely something different and a good vegetarian dish. I'd take these over a Boca Burger anyday!!!! However, there are some things to consider:

1) Make sure not to over cook your eggplant (like I did). Really stick with the given cooking times . I thought that it needed an extra couple minutes, but it overcooked and got soggy. When I put everything in the food processor, it was too runny (like cake batter). I ended up having to put in another cup or so of breadcrumbs just to make it thick enough to shape into patties. (So just in case, have some extra breadcrumbs on hand)

2) Beware of the color. The color does not look appetizing. Especially since there's parsley in the mix -- you get this gross greenish brown color. Ew. Just know that it tastes better than it looks and doesn't look too bad once it's cooked up.

3) Kind of weird texture -- These aren't hamburgers, so they don't have the texture of hamburgers. They're a little more mushy. So we just used some good, traditional hamburger fixings -bacon, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese (Cheddar and pepper jack for a spicy kick!) and avocados. All things yummy on burgers of any kind.

4) Make Nuggets for the kiddos -- I made 4 patties for Darrin and I and then made small balls, tossed them in Panko (or you could do regular breadcrumbs) and sauteed them up. The Panko gave them a nice crunch and the size was perfect for the kids. They kind of looked like little nuggets. I even gave Rylee some ketchup to dip them in! :)

So there you go. I say try it and see for yourself if you like it or not. Overall, we really liked these and I think we'll make them again. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment